The purpose of this standard is to provide guidance on the requirements for the use of University funds to pay for marketing and development expenses using University funds for a valid University business purpose.
This standard applies to all situations where University funds are used.
Direct any general questions about this standard to your department’s business officer or fund administrator. If you have specific questions, please refer to the contacts for fund use guidance listed in Appendix 1 of the University’s Financial Management Guidelines.
- Advertising, Marketing, and Promotional Items: Unless specifically restricted, all types of funds may be used to pay for advertising, marketing, and promotional items; however, the General Fund, Institutional Trust Funds, or Special Funds may only be used if appropriated or received for this purpose. This includes items such as pens, pencils, erasers, water bottles, coffee mugs, ties, scarves, and key chains. The General Fund, Institutional Trust Funds, or Special Funds may be used to purchase articles of clothing only if they meet a security or safety need; prior approval from the University Budget Office is required for any purpose unrelated to safety/security.
- Amenity: Discretionary funds may be used to purchase amenities. An amenity is a gift item that helps to build, strengthen and promote relationships with groups and individuals, on and off campus. These expenditures are appropriate for the Chancellor’s Office and University Advancement, and for officially sanctioned for University activities, such as commencement, convocation, or official staff recognition activities.
Discretionary funds are the only types of funds that may be used for cultivation of donors and potential donors and development of community and institutional relationships, which may include business meals, entertainment, and amenities (refer to the Standard on Meals and Entertainment for additional guidance).
- University Policy 601.8, Appropriate Use of University Funds
- Standard for Meals and Entertainment
- Allowable Fund Usage Table
- University Financial Management Guidelines
- North Carolina Budget Manual
- Initially approved May 1, 2017
- Updated May 12, 2017
- Revised July 10, 2017