1098-T FAQs

What is a Form 1098-T (Tuition Statement)?

The IRS requires the University to issue Form 1098-T, Tuition Payments Statement, to each student by January 31.  The form 1098-T is an information tax document to aid taxpayers in determing whether they are eligible to claim a tax deduction or one of the education tax credits (Hope Credit or Lifetime Learning Credit).  The Form 1098-T is NOT to be filed with a tax return.  Its purpose is not to report scholarship income to the IRS.  It is for information purposes only.

Why are my qualified payments not listed in Box 1?

According to IRS guidelines, UNC Charlotte must choose to report either (Box 1) payments received for qualified tuition and related expenses or (Box 2) amounts billed for qualified tuition and related expenses. UNC charlotte has chosen to report (Box 2) amounts billed for qualified tuition and related expenses.

What is included in Box 2, amounts billed for qualified tuition and related expenses?

Box 2 includes tuition and mandatory fees that were billed between January 1 and December 31.

Why was I excluded from receiving a 1098-T?

UNC charlotte is not required to issue a 1098-T to students whose qualified tuition and related expenses are entirely waived or paid entirely with scholarships or grants (when Box 4 is equal to or greater than Box 2).

How do I view, print and download my 1098-T Tuition Statement?

The student will need to:

  1. Login to the My UNC Charlotte portal
  2. Under Financial Resources, Select the "Make a Payment / View Account"​
  3. Select “View 1098-T Statement"
  4. Select "View" beside the tax year

How do I get the amount I actually paid for my qualified tuition and fees?

The student will need to:

  1. Login to My UNC Charlotte
  2. Under Financial Resources, select "Make a Payment / View Account"
  3. Under the "Payments" tab, select "Payment History"
  4. Select "Time Period"

Where can I get more information about the tax credits?

Consult your tax advisor as to your particular eligibility for the credits. For more detailed generic information, refer to IRS Publication 970 (Tax Benefits for Higher Education), contact the Internal Revenue Service through their taxpayer assistance number (800-829-1040) or the IRS website. Your tax benefits are based on what you paid not what you were billed.