As a state agency, the University is exempt from North Carolina sales and use tax for qualifying purchases effective July 1, 2004. The University’s North Carolina sales and use tax exemption number is 400019. This number is the University’s authority for purchasing items subject to sales and use tax without payment of tax to vendors. This exemption should only be used for direct purchases.
The following items are not exempt from state sales and use tax:
- Prepared food and beverage taxes levied and administered by various local governments in the State
- Occupancy taxes levied and administered by various local governments in the State
- Highway use taxes paid on the purchase, lease or rental of motor vehicles
- State sales taxes levied on electricity or local, private or toll telecommunications services
- Scrap tire disposal tax levied on new tires
- White goods disposal tax levied on new white goods
- Dry-cleaning solvent tax levied on dry-cleaning solvent purchased by a dry- cleaning facility
- Excise tax on piped natural gas
The university's tax exempt certificate can be found on the Tax Office webpage.