The Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI DSS) are a set of comprehensive requirements for enhancing payment account data security. The Standards were developed by the founding payment brands of the PCI Security Standards Council (PCI SSC), including American Express, Discover Financial Services, JCB International, MasterCard Worldwide and Visa Inc. International, to help facilitate the broad adoption of consistent data security measures on a global basis. The Standard is multifaceted and focuses on the following goals:
- Build and maintain a secure network
- Protect cardholder data
- Maintain a vulnerability management program
- Implement strong access control measures
- Regularly monitor and test networks
- Maintain an information security policy
This comprehensive standard is intended to help organizations proactively protect customer account data. More information along with the specific standards and requirements may be found at the PCI Security Standards Council.