UNC Charlotte must comply with federal regulations for disbursement of Title IV federal financial aid (“Title IV aid”). Without a signed authorization, Title IV aid can only be applied to certain institutional charges.
Terms to know:
- Institutional charges: Tuition, fees, room and board.
- Non-institutional charges: All other charges billed to your student account, including health insurance premiums, library fines, parking fines, and health center charges.
- Title IV aid: Refers to federal financial aid funds, including Pell Grants, Perkins Loans, Parent Plus Loans, Stafford Loans, and other federal subsidized and unsubsidized direct loans.
- Title IV authorization: Per federal regulations (34 CFR 668.164), UNC Charlotte cannot use students’ Title IV aid to cover non-institutional charges unless the student submits a Title IV authorization.
What happens if I don’t complete a Title IV authorization?
- Your accepted Title IV aid will automatically pay for the "institutional" charges on your student account: tuition, fees, room & board.
- However, your excess aid WILL NOT automatically pay all other “non-institutional” charges.
- So, you could receive a refund check and still owe a balance on your student account for any of your "non-institutional" charges.
|Student Account Charges||Amount|
|Tuition & Fees||$ 3,000|
|Total institutional charges||$5,500|
|Health insurance premium||800|
|Health Center charge||50|
|Total non-institutional charges||$850|
|Title IV financial aid||Amount|
|Pell grant||$ 2,400|
|Stafford subsidized loan||3,000|
|Stafford unsubsidized loan||2,000|
WITH Title IV authorization:
- Amount refunded: $1,050
- Amount owed: $0
- All charges would be paid before a refund is issued to the student.
WITHOUT Title IV authorization:
- Amount refunded: $1,900
- Amount owed: $850
- Non-institutional charges would not be paid before a refund was issued to the student, and the student would owe $850. The student would still have to pay the balance by the due date to prevent past due charges and classes from being cancelled.*
To avoid potential outstanding charges and registration holds, complete your Title IV authorization in My UNC Charlotte:
- Log in to your my.uncc.edu account
- Select My Student Account
- Select Title IV Authorization
- Authorize and click the 'Submit' button
- Your authorization will then be submitted electronically
Even if you have no Title IV aid at this time, we encourage you to review the authorization and consider signing it now. You might need Title IV aid for future semesters, and if you do, you will already have the authorization in place.
Title IV authorizations are valid through the date of graduation but can be rescinded by emailing email@example.com. Please note that if you rescind this authorization, it is not retroactive.
* If you have a balance that becomes past due, it is subject to a monthly late fee and interest charges, and you will have a hold put on your account that will prevent you from registering for a future term, receiving a transcript, and receiving your diploma until your balance is paid. Check your monthly e-Bill in My UNC Charlotte and pay any balance owed by the due date to prevent any penalties and registration restrictions.