Eligible employees currently receiving allowances for using a personally-owned mobile communication device (MCD) for business purposes are required to submit a renewal form each fiscal year in accordance with University Policy 602.10, Mobile Communication Device Allowances. Employees desiring to renew their MCD allowance need to complete the MCD Allowance Request Form by Friday, May 31, 2019, to establish/renew their MCD allowance for fiscal year 2020 (July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020).
- Review the University MCD policy, procedures, and FAQs.
- Complete the electronic MCD Allowance Request Form, attach corresponding documentation (with required approvals), and submit no later than May 31, 2019.
- Employees are required to provide the “substantial non-compensatory business reason” for the allowance. Examples include:
- The University’s need to contact the employee at all times for work-related emergencies; or
- The University’s requirement that an employee be routinely available to communicate with legislators or other elected officials, community leaders, or customers at times outside the normal work schedule or at times when the employee is away from the duty station.
- Employees are required to provide a copy of their most recent monthly bill or service provider contract with the request form. If the business-related usage charges actually incurred are less than the MCD allowance requested, the allowance must be reduced so that it does not exceed the expenses incurred on a monthly basis.
- Supervisors and department heads are required to review the completed form and documentation to ensure compliance with University Policy 602.10. The Controller’s Office will conduct a sample-based, annual audit of MCD allowance requests, and notify employees, supervisors and department heads if an allowance needs additional justification, documentation, adjustment or termination.
- If a new eForm is not received, the employee’s MCD allowance will expire on 6/30/19. Allowances will not be processed retroactively.
- Employees may not be reimbursed for monthly personal service plans for University-owned devices. Monthly charges should be managed and paid by the issuing Department.
- If a new employee starts before June 30, 2019 and is eligible for a MCD allowance in the current fiscal year, then a separate MCD Allowance Request Form is required to establish the new allowance in fiscal year 2019 and then renew the allowance for fiscal year 2020.
- Program questions: Alicia Bartosch in the Controller's Office
- Processing questions: Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org