As of January 1, 2018, moving expense reimbursements to employees are fully taxable. This change is a result of the federal tax reform bill signed into law on December 22, 2017. A moving “allowance” now replaces what used to be moving expense reimbursements.
What to expect
The Moving Allowance Procedures outline the new provisions (e.g., expenses covered, eligibility, standard allowance levels, discontinuation of employment) and procedures to request a moving allowance for a new employee.
- The Moving Allowance Form will go live mid-March.
- Do NOT use this form until further notification is sent that the form is ready for use. The form does not yet have approval workflows.
- Faculty/AABP: Elizabeth Moll, Business Officer for Academic Budget and Personnel
- Staff/HR: Jeanne Madorin, Executive Director - Human Resources
- Tax: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Payroll: PayrollDept@uncc.edu
An update to the receipt requirement was published June 28, 2018.