Fuel for Vehicle, How to Pay

Payment method:

When traveling on University business in a rental car or Department-owned vehicle, the preferred method for purchasing fuel for a vehicle is to use a University-issued Purchasing Card ("P-Card"). 

Other allowable methods include:
  • Submit a Travel Reimbursement and Expense Report (when in travel status); or
  • Submit a Direct Pay Request form (when not in travel status)

Note:  Refer to University Policy 601.8, "Appropriate Use of University Funds" to confirm if this is a permissible use of funds for your area. 

Rationale and other considerations:

The purchase of fuel is allowable on a P-Card when the employee is traveling in a rental car or Department-owned vehicle. If the employee is combining business and personal activities in the same trip, only the fuel expense related to the business portion of the trip is allowable. Note: The employee should not request a mileage reimbursement when using a rental car for transportation. 

How to do it:

  1. Complete a Travel Authorization form (applicable for rental car) and obtain supervisor approval (additional special fund approval may be required, such as Grants & Contracts Administration). 
  2. Upon approval of the Travel Authorization form, the traveler or their designee may then use a P-Card to make the purchase. When using the P-Card for travel expenses, follow the guidelines and processes identified in the Travel Manual (link provided below).
Policies Procedures Forms / Links Training and Reference Materials

IRS Travel, Entertainment, Gift, and Car Expenses Publication (Publication 463)

University Policy 601.8, Appropriate Use of University Funds
Purchasing Card Manual
Travel Manual                                  

Travel Forms Package

Direct Pay Request (DPR) Form

General Guide for Travelers

Cardholder/Reconciler/Approver Training

Expense Account Codes

Contact for additional questions:

Send an email to the Travel mailbox at travel@uncc.edu; or refer to the Travel/Complex Payments website