Hotel and Lodging, How to Pay

Payment method:

The preferred method for prepaying for hotel/lodging expenses associated with University-related travel is to use a University-issued Purchasing Card (P-card).  

Other allowable methods include:
  • Direct bill to a local hotel (non-UNC Charlotte employees only) when payment cannot be made by P-card
  • Submit a Request for Travel Reimbursement
Note:  Refer to University Policy 601.8, "Appropriate Use of University Funds" to confirm if this is a permissible use of funds for your area. 


Rationale and other considerations:

Hotel expenses (room, tax, and business-related internet service) are allowable on a P-card. If the employee is combining business and personal activities in the same trip, only the expense related to the business portion of the trip is allowable. Please refer to the Travel Manual for additional information (link provided below). 
Charlotte-area hotel/lodging may only be purchased for non-UNC Charlotte employees. The University has direct billing arrangements established with several local hotels; please refer to the listing of hotels provided below. 

How to do it:

  1. Complete a Travel Authorization form and obtain supervisor approval (additional special fund approval may be required, such as Grants & Contracts Administration or Treasury Services). 
  2. Upon approval of the Travel Authorization form, the traveler or their designee may then pay for the lodging using a P-card. When using the P-card for travel expenses, follow the guidelines and processes identified in the Travel Manual (link provided below).
Policies Procedures Forms / Links Training and Reference Materials

IRS Travel, Entertainment, Gift, and Car Expenses Publication (Publication 463)

University Policy 601.8, Appropriate Use of University Funds
Purchasing Card Manual
Travel Manual                                     

Travel Forms Package


Listing of Direct-Bill Hotels in the Charlotte area

General Guide for Travelers

Expense Account Codes

Contact for additional questions:

Send an email to the Travel mailbox at, or refer to the list of contacts on the Travel/Complex Payments website.

Last updated 12/22/2016; 7/10/2017