How to Pay Students

UNC Charlotte pays students for a variety of purposes.  Most payments to students (besides government aid that is processed through Financial Aid) should either be classified as educational awards (namely scholarships/ fellowships) or compensation.  Click on the summarized flowchart below for additional guidance in selecting the appropriate payment method:

Click the image below to enlarge:

Student Payment Flowchart


Rationale and other considerations:

It’s important to keep in mind that the name given to the payment by the payer is not controlling.  For example, a payment described as a “scholarship” that requires services to be performed is, in actuality, compensation and is subject to applicable payroll taxes. Misclassification of payments can lead to incorrect tax withholding and reporting.

Last updated: 10/28/16