Mileage and Parking, How to Pay



Payment method:


Authorized travelers can seek reimbursement for mileage and parking using either the Travel Reimbursement & Expense Report Form or the Request for Mileage and Parking Reimbursement Form. The nature of the travel determines which form to use.

This applies if the traveler is a:
  • Current UNC Charlotte employee
  • Non-employee (with a valid business purpose)
When to use a Travel Reimbursement & Expense Report Form:  Use a Travel Reimbursement & Expense Report Form for claiming mileage and parking expenses if the traveler claims other travel-related expenses while traveling on pre-approved University business, AND:
  • The trip takes the traveler 35 miles or more from the University duty station; and
  • Involves an overnight stay.
When to use a Request for Mileage and Parking Reimbursement Form:  Use a Request for Mileage and Parking Reimbursement Form if the traveler is only claiming mileage and parking expenses from an approved University business trip. 

Rationale and other considerations:

If you are using your personal vehicle on approved, official University business, you can be reimbursed for your mileage. Mileage will be reimbursed from the closer of home or duty station.

Mileage is allowed for the trip to and from Charlotte-Douglas International Airport, when you are planning to park your car for the duration of travel, or when a private party is dropping you off at the airport. Please note that mileage from the University is limited to 15 miles each way.

For mileage reimbursement, you should include printed directions that show total miles incurred outside the Charlotte-metro area. You may use an online mapping service for this documentation (e.g., Google Maps, Mapquest). If your actual mileage exceeds direct round trip miles, please provide an explanation. Travelers are encouraged to request motor fleet vehicles for University travel, subject to availability. 

Note:  Please refer to the Safety & Security page for details regarding insurance coverage when using personally-owned or University-owned vehicles. 

How to do it:

  1. Review the policies and procedures listed below.
  2. Complete the appropriate form:
    • Travel Reimbursement & Expense Report Form (tab 2 in link provided below), or
    • Mileage and Parking Reimbursement Form (link provided below).
  3. Attach required documentation. Documentation depends on the type of reimbursement request:
    • Parking receipts
    • MapQuest
    • Travel Authorization
  4. Obtain required signatures from traveler and approver.
  5. Submit to Travel & Complex Payments.


Contact for additional questions:

Send an email to the Travel mailbox at, or refer to the list of contacts on the Travel & Complex Payments website
Last updated 10/05/2018